Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone numbers showing on iMessage on Mac not contact names

I have a MacBook Pro running the latest software and when i'm on the contacts app it doesn't show the new contacts I add, they just show up as phone numbers when on iMessage.

Can anyone help?

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 7:41 PM

Hi there Panagioti,

Depending on what device you are adding the contacts via, this could be various different things:

• If adding contacts from a different device (say an iPhone or another Mac), the contacts you are adding may not be syncing due to disabled contact syncing in iCloud. Apple has a guide to Sync Contacts in the iCloud here.

• If you are adding the contacts on the same device you are having the problem, make sure that you select "Done" after creating the contact, this is the only way to ensure the contact and its information is saved.

Hope this helps. : )

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2019 7:41 PM in response to Panagioti Stouras

Hi there Panagioti,

Depending on what device you are adding the contacts via, this could be various different things:

• If adding contacts from a different device (say an iPhone or another Mac), the contacts you are adding may not be syncing due to disabled contact syncing in iCloud. Apple has a guide to Sync Contacts in the iCloud here.

• If you are adding the contacts on the same device you are having the problem, make sure that you select "Done" after creating the contact, this is the only way to ensure the contact and its information is saved.

Hope this helps. : )

Aug 4, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Panagioti Stouras

Hello Panagioti Stouras, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you’re not seeing any new contacts that you’ve added when you check in your Contacts app, and these same contacts are showing as only their phone number in Messages on your MacBook Pro. First, you’ll want to get the contacts appearing in Contacts. Once they’re showing up there, you should see a change in Messages. 

If you created the contact on your iPhone, you’ll want to be sure that you have Contacts turned on in iCloud, and that you’re signed into iCloud on your MacBook Pro. Here’s how to check if you’re signed into iCloud on your MacBook Pro: Set up iCloud on your Mac

If you have iCloud signed in on your devices, and Contacts turned on, the next step is to check and see if the new contacts are appearing on the iCloud.com website. To check, sign in > select Contacts and see if they are present. If they are there, but not showing up in Contacts on your MacBook Pro, go to Contacts > Preferences > Accounts and see that you have the account enabled. 

If you need more help, message back with the results. 

Enjoy the day!

Phone numbers showing on iMessage on Mac not contact names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.