Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not allowing delete files on Seagate portable 2TB hard drive

My late 2017 iMac running Mojave 10.14.5, is not allowing me to delete certain files that I have on my Seagate 2TB hard drive, that was originally formatted to my windows desktop, before I switched to Mac. So I am too unfamiliar w/the software, to know what I am doing wrong. When I bring up permissions for the Seagate, it says I, the admin., and only user, has read and write permission, but staff, and everyone, read only permission. When I put in the admin. password, and unlock it, and change the other 2 to read and write, it says," I am not authorized, to make this change". I do not even know if this would have solved my problem or not, since the admin DOES have read and write permission.

I thought about reformatting the HD, to the iMac, but quickly realized I will lose, almost 2TB of important data. And I really need to remove these files, that accidently were written to this HD, if anyone can help. Thank you.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 10:46 AM

macOS can not write to, delete from, or modify data on a drive formatted as an NTFS volume.

You will need 3rd party software to do that.

2 replies

iMac not allowing delete files on Seagate portable 2TB hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.