Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Disk drive permissions

Hi everyone

I am using a seagate hdd

I am struggling to access files I.e move, copy and paste files. I believe this is because the format is ntfs and also I have read only access

Looking below.. I am Ray.. so I should be able to read and write but I still can't? I can't edit permissions as it says I don't jave permissions.

What Should I do? I don't want to format this... as I have lots of data

Thank you

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 11:00 AM

This has nothing to do with permissions, macOS can only read NTFS formatted volumes by default. It can not write to them unless you install some 3rd party file system driver. I would recommend to copy everything you want to keep to your internal (or other external) volume. Then use Disk Utility to delete the disk and format it either jHFS+ or APFS, both with GUID partition scheme. Afterwards you can copy back the data.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 11:00 AM in response to rayted22

This has nothing to do with permissions, macOS can only read NTFS formatted volumes by default. It can not write to them unless you install some 3rd party file system driver. I would recommend to copy everything you want to keep to your internal (or other external) volume. Then use Disk Utility to delete the disk and format it either jHFS+ or APFS, both with GUID partition scheme. Afterwards you can copy back the data.

Hard Disk drive permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.