Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Misbehaving

Starting a couple weeks ago, after the last update, when I added a CD to iTunes, it didn't return the CD name or song titles. Today, I signed out of iTunes, and now, although I enter the correct login and password, I can't sign in.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 8:55 AM

Hi tedd57,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble signing in to iTunes on your Mac and iTunes is having trouble acquiring album information for content you're importing from a CD. I know how important using iTunes to manage your music collection is; I'd like to help. Regarding the trouble you're having signing in, if you haven't already, quit iTunes and restart your Mac. After restarting, verify your Mac is connected to the internet and try to sign in to iTunes again.

If the issue persists, use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode and try to sign in again:

"Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
    2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode

If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
    • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed."

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If you can sign in, restart your Mac normally and verify that you're signed in iTunes again. If you're still unable to sign in, can you let me know what happens when you try? If you see an error message, what does it say?

Regarding the trouble with seeing information for the CDs you're importing in iTunes, check out this resource for steps: If you don’t see songs in iTunes on Mac

Best Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 8:55 AM in response to tedd57

Hi tedd57,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble signing in to iTunes on your Mac and iTunes is having trouble acquiring album information for content you're importing from a CD. I know how important using iTunes to manage your music collection is; I'd like to help. Regarding the trouble you're having signing in, if you haven't already, quit iTunes and restart your Mac. After restarting, verify your Mac is connected to the internet and try to sign in to iTunes again.

If the issue persists, use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode and try to sign in again:

"Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
    2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode

If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
    • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed."

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If you can sign in, restart your Mac normally and verify that you're signed in iTunes again. If you're still unable to sign in, can you let me know what happens when you try? If you see an error message, what does it say?

Regarding the trouble with seeing information for the CDs you're importing in iTunes, check out this resource for steps: If you don’t see songs in iTunes on Mac

Best Regards.

Aug 2, 2019 10:34 AM in response to chris_g1

The good news is that I can log into iTunes in safe mode. The bad news is that if I log out of iTunes and restart, I still can’t log in in normal mode. In normal mode, it seems like the connection to the iTunes Store doesn’t complete, or at least the blue progress bar while “Accessing iTunes Store... doesn’t go away.

Also, I’ve been having trouble for the last couple weeks connecting remotely to my work server with VMWare Horizon client. In safe mode, I can. In normal mode I can’t. The error message I get is Couldn’t connect to server.

Re the song/CD titles, I am connected to the internet, because my web browser works. It’s not the cd, because if I use my older laptop, it works

iTunes Misbehaving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.