Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with guest account

Never tried it before so I was trying to see what it did so I can let someone use my MBP for web browsing because that's person's PC is on the fritz. However, I wanted to see if maybe I could try the guest account because when I've lent it out before I've ended up with Safari folders modified (once even deleted) and my desktop folders shuffled around.

So I entered the guest account. I did open a folder and got into Applications to start Firefox and even create an alias. However, I've never done this before so I tried logging out. I got something about the keychain being deleted (I canceled) and then I got a black screen with an arrow cursor. After a minute I just powered down with the power button and powered on again. I could get into my normal administrator account, so I logged out and got into the guest account again. When I tried logging out I got the black screen again, but no message about the keychain.

Anyone know what's going on?

It's a mid-2012 non-Retina with an SSD, if that helps.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 3:10 PM

I don't know why it is failing to log out, but deleting all user data and keychains are normal for the Guest account. Once you log out of Guest, the account is wiped clean. It is not meant for long-term usage.

If you need to have guests be able to store data, create standard user accounts for them to use.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 3:10 PM in response to y_p_w

I don't know why it is failing to log out, but deleting all user data and keychains are normal for the Guest account. Once you log out of Guest, the account is wiped clean. It is not meant for long-term usage.

If you need to have guests be able to store data, create standard user accounts for them to use.

Problem with guest account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.