Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the different types of passwords you use to secure a Mac

1. What are the different types of passwords you use to secure a Mac .

Using Mac OS mojave 10.14.6

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 7:24 AM

Have you been watching a quiz show or has something else prompted you to quiz us. "What are the five ways to eject a disk" What are the different types of passwords"?

Tips for creating secure passwords on Mac - Apple Support

Require a password after waking your Mac - Apple Support

28 replies

Aug 2, 2019 9:59 AM in response to BDAqua

1. Local user account password / admin password
  2. Apple ID and password—For iCloud, iTunes, and the App Store.
  3. Keychain passwords—To protect authentication assets in encrypted keychain files.
  4. Resource passwords—Such as email, websites, file servers, apps, and encrypted disk images.
  5. Firmware password—Prevents your Mac from starting up up from any disk other than your designated startup disk.

Also passwords like application specific password , or creating 2FA account that every Mac user use and secure the Mac .

Thanks ! BD Aqua you understood the question and solved .

Aug 2, 2019 11:42 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I use Password Assistant to create memorable passwords like this: depressors921603/spiritlessness

which gave me this result at the website you linked us to:

By changing one of the letters to a capital the time to crack goes up a bit:

Don't think the Russians will be around that long.

Unfortunately the Password Assistant app is only 32 bit so won't be with me for much longer.

Aug 2, 2019 8:04 AM in response to tygb

Pick a period of history. Choose 1 - 3 words from that era that you can string together or change some of the characters to obfuscate the words, and use different non-repeating characters to connect the words. My password is 26 characters long, and though that may seem daunting — after a brief time, muscle memory kicks in, and the length of the password is not.an issue for me.

Aug 2, 2019 8:27 AM in response to tygb

I create passwords in a way that I can write down hints, using the initials of friends, family, or school (57 years ago). or telephone numbers or houlse numbers (mostly now nonexistent). Then I can write a hint that only I can understand.

For example (and obviously these are all fictitious)

A friend called Graham Evans

My grandfather's telephone number 7379

My mother's initials PNM

The office extension at work (now closed) 2218

My maths master NPD

So, ge7379pnm2218npd

Hint:

Graham **

Grandad tel ****

Mum***

Office ****

(Master's surname) ***

This is pretty well unbreakable but I can safely write the hints down.

Aug 2, 2019 8:51 AM in response to babowa

Well, I suppose no password is literally unbreakable but that one would take some doing. Obviously it bears no resemblence to any of my actual passwords; and even if someone found the piece of paper with the hints it wouldn't mean anything to them.

Incidentally according to https://howsecureismypassword.net/ it would take a computer (type unspecified) 6 million years to break it. (Kaspersky say 1 million years - obviously a faster computer.)

What are the different types of passwords you use to secure a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.