Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos / Albums / Media Types

How are photos assigned to various media type albums in Photos app? I have photos in the selfies album and slo mo albums e.g. that don't belong there. Can I edit? Thanks

Mac OS 10.14.6

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 6:12 AM

No, it is not possible to change the Media Types albums. These are essentially smart albums, and Photos is creating them automatically, based on the properties of the Photos.

When I look at the Selfies album in my library, it contains essentially all photos I have taken with the front camera of my iPhone or iPad. None of the photos there are selfies, mostly pictures of the ceilings in historical buildings, that I have taken with the iPhone lying flat on the floor. You would have to change tag for the camera, to remove photos from the Selfie album.

The Slo-Motion album seems to contain all videos with a high frame rate - 120fps.

You would have to modify the tags with exiftool or another program, to remove the photos from these albums. I would simply create a new standard album and add the photos and videos to your own album, that you want in the custom selfies and slo-motion album.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 6:12 AM in response to andrewfromeast wareham

No, it is not possible to change the Media Types albums. These are essentially smart albums, and Photos is creating them automatically, based on the properties of the Photos.

When I look at the Selfies album in my library, it contains essentially all photos I have taken with the front camera of my iPhone or iPad. None of the photos there are selfies, mostly pictures of the ceilings in historical buildings, that I have taken with the iPhone lying flat on the floor. You would have to change tag for the camera, to remove photos from the Selfie album.

The Slo-Motion album seems to contain all videos with a high frame rate - 120fps.

You would have to modify the tags with exiftool or another program, to remove the photos from these albums. I would simply create a new standard album and add the photos and videos to your own album, that you want in the custom selfies and slo-motion album.

Photos / Albums / Media Types

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.