Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Mojave Folder Color

I'm trying to change the colour of a folder on my desktop to purple. I'm following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkFhKJsYec

At 1:09 they change the folder colour in the info panel to purple and it remains purple. Then they save the Preview folder to Desktop and it appears as purple. In my case, when I change the folder colour in the info panel to purple, it changes back to blue in about .5 seconds. Then when I save the Preview folder to Desktop, it is blue. Strange. What am I doing wrong. Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 4:08 AM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2019 6:29 AM in response to engine44

Use your own picture or a picture from the web

1. On your Mac, copy the picture you want to use to the Clipboard.
  2. One way to do this is to open the picture in the Preview app , choose Edit > Select All, then choose Edit > Copy.
  3. Select the file or folder whose icon you want to replace, then choose File > Get Info.
  4. At the top of the Info window, click the picture of the icon, then choose Edit > Paste.

Use an icon from another file or folder

1. On your Mac, select the file or folder whose icon you want to use, then choose File > Get Info.
  2. At the top of the Info window, click the icon, then choose Edit > Copy.
  3. Select the other file or folder, then choose File > Get Info.
  4. Click the icon, then choose Edit > Paste.

Restore the original icon for an item

1. On your Mac, select the file or folder, then choose File > Get Info.
  2. At the top of the Info window, select the custom icon, then choose Edit > Cut.

I have tried it myself and it works!

Changing Mojave Folder Color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.