Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 Mac Pro 2.7 Ghz 12 core with Mojave 10.14.6 Keeps Rebooting with CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump

I have a Mac Pro (2013) 2.7 Ghz 12 core with Duel D300 Graphics cards and 64GB of RAM. It keeps rebooting with CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump. I would appreciate any help in identifying what is causing the issue. I have an upgraded hard drive installed that is an Aura X 1 TB with heat sink. All user data is connected via a Thunderbolt external drive and the monitor is a Thunderbolt monitor.

Here are the details from the problem report

Anonymous UUID: 86B32047-8330-BFAA-9D7C-6157215959D6

Fri Aug 2 22:24:07 2019

*** MCA Error Report ***

CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump (CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v2 @ 2.70GHz, CPUID: 0x306E4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 7:24 AM

What version of MacOS are you running?

Do you still have the old genuine Apple SSD module? There are reports of problems with firmware on these machines, and anecdotes suggest your Mac will not update the firmware if it has the Aura installed. But putting back the genuine Apple SSD would allow you to update the software, and the firmware would install along with it.

The trouble free version is version 132.0.0.0, yours is:

Model: MacPro6,1, BootROM MP61.0124.B00,

12 processors, 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 2.7 GHz,

64 GB, SMC 2.20f18

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2019 7:24 AM in response to rickcherry

What version of MacOS are you running?

Do you still have the old genuine Apple SSD module? There are reports of problems with firmware on these machines, and anecdotes suggest your Mac will not update the firmware if it has the Aura installed. But putting back the genuine Apple SSD would allow you to update the software, and the firmware would install along with it.

The trouble free version is version 132.0.0.0, yours is:

64 GB, SMC 2.20f18

Aug 5, 2019 6:05 AM in response to rickcherry

Grant lists your Mac has having firmware version

64 GB, SMC 2.20f18

But the newer firmware version numbers look more like this

This might suggest your Mac has the older firmware still - possibly because it was not able to update it due to your having an Aura SSD now. I can however confirm that the Xeon E5-2697 2.7GHz is suitable for your MacPro6,1 model.

I would suggest you get hold of an external USB or Thunderbolt drive, format it, install Mojave 10.14.6 on to it and let it boot from it. This should hopefully succeed in also updating your Mac Pro firmware to the very latest version. You can then try switching back to booting from the SSD and trying that again.

Aug 11, 2019 8:05 PM in response to rickcherry

I have found that the recent macOS installers require the internal drive to be partitioned as GUID with MacOS Extended (Journaled). I've seen numerous reports where macOS will not update the system firmware if a third party SSD is installed in a Mac using a PCIe SSD such as your Mac Pro.

Some of the OWC Aura SSDs have a firmware update available to help address this issue (I think). I believe the link to the firmware update is found on the OWC Blog instead of the OWC support site.

https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/10/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmware-Update

The page says it is not for the Mac Pro 2013, but I've seen users report updating the SSD firmware on the Mac Pro. IIRC, the SSD in this Mac Pro is the same one found in the MBPro 2013+ laptops so the firmware should apply to it as well. Perhaps the reason has to do with something specific to the MacPro which might cause it to fail.

Aug 11, 2019 8:23 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:

I have found that the recent macOS installers require the internal drive to be partitioned as GUID with MacOS Extended (Journaled).

That makes sense because of the way MacOS installs major upgrades. A minimal bootable partition is set as the Startup Drive, containing the new software or firmware, then a Restart means your Mac comes up running the minimal installer.

2013 Mac Pro 2.7 Ghz 12 core with Mojave 10.14.6 Keeps Rebooting with CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.