Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrating 100gb system

Just brought a new MacBook Pro (2019) I migrated by time machine and the system is taking up 100gb of space would like to ask any way to solve of at least make it like 20-30gb of system use space ???

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 6:06 PM

What and how did you migrate? Maybe you copied over all your user data too. Where did you read it took up 100GB of space? Some of the reports on space usage are not accurate.

Run

OmniDiskSweeper

"The simple, fast way to save disk space"

OmniDiskSweeper is now free!

OmniDiskSweeper and OmniWeb - The Omni Group

This will give you a list of files and folders sorted by size. Go after things you know that are big.

To see all files, you need to logon to each user on your system and run OmniDiskSweeper.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2019 6:06 PM in response to Zabist

What and how did you migrate? Maybe you copied over all your user data too. Where did you read it took up 100GB of space? Some of the reports on space usage are not accurate.

Run

OmniDiskSweeper

"The simple, fast way to save disk space"

OmniDiskSweeper is now free!

OmniDiskSweeper and OmniWeb - The Omni Group

This will give you a list of files and folders sorted by size. Go after things you know that are big.

To see all files, you need to logon to each user on your system and run OmniDiskSweeper.

Aug 5, 2019 5:41 PM in response to Lanny

Thanks for telling me WHAT happened but I would be more happy if you could tell me HOW to fix it.

thanks for replying @Lanny

But FYI I didn't think an adult would misread that specially if read the whole title, unless you take individual letters out of context and read them if so can you also tell me the meaning of migrating with each individual letters it would broaden my horizons thanks.

Aug 5, 2019 5:53 PM in response to Zabist

Your question makes a lot of difference if the correct terminology/acronym is not used. So the solution may be completely different or inappropriate based on the terminology.

Gb = gigabit

GB = gigabyte

gb is meaningless

I think Lanny made the correct assumption but was only pointing out the difference to help you in future discussions.

Look for old Time Machine Snapshots on your computer and delete them.

migrating 100gb system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.