Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My partition shows up as unformatted in Recovery mode after trying to reinstall Mac OS there.

I was trying to reinstall macOS in recovery mode. After erasing the drive and reinstalling the prohibitory symbol showed up. So I decided to go back in recovery mode and restart the re installation.

Now the partition shows up as unformatted. It is not displayed and I think it is hidden from disk utilities. I can't find a way to erase it if it is not showing up.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 6:10 AM

You need Internet Recovery. It’s the two options that are command-R:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Probably choose the option-command-R method and have a good internet connection. Once in Disk Utility you’ll need to select View > Select All Devices and select the top level drive. For a Retina MBP that should be something like Apple SSD SM***** Media.

One you have all that done you can install MacOS. If it doesn’t automatically create a recovery partition, then it should eventually create one after an OS update.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 6:10 AM in response to Kuldae

You need Internet Recovery. It’s the two options that are command-R:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Probably choose the option-command-R method and have a good internet connection. Once in Disk Utility you’ll need to select View > Select All Devices and select the top level drive. For a Retina MBP that should be something like Apple SSD SM***** Media.

One you have all that done you can install MacOS. If it doesn’t automatically create a recovery partition, then it should eventually create one after an OS update.

My partition shows up as unformatted in Recovery mode after trying to reinstall Mac OS there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.