Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow or delayed start up times

Recently my iMac started to have boot times that can take almost 2 minutes before you get to the desktop. This is compared to boot times that were close to 15-20 seconds or so in the past. The system is around 6 months old and running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with only one login item, which is Dropbox. The system runs fine otherwise but I havent been able to narrow down the cause of the slow boot so far. Any ideas?

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 12:11 PM

You might reconsider having MalwareBytes run all the time in the background. It just uses up system resources. I have it but run only once in a while if I think I might have installed some adware or malware. I don't see a need to run it full time.

Boot into Safe Mode and then reboot normally to see if there's any difference in the boot times.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

I've also heard those comments about Dropbox. It will be easy for you to either prove or disprove them.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 12:11 PM in response to Erik Cronin

You might reconsider having MalwareBytes run all the time in the background. It just uses up system resources. I have it but run only once in a while if I think I might have installed some adware or malware. I don't see a need to run it full time.

Boot into Safe Mode and then reboot normally to see if there's any difference in the boot times.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

I've also heard those comments about Dropbox. It will be easy for you to either prove or disprove them.

Aug 4, 2019 1:53 PM in response to Old Toad

So I uninstalled Dropbox and there was no change. I also uninstalled Battle.net (dont really use it) and that didnt change anything either.

Once I uninstalled MalwareBytes, the system booted normally in about 27 seconds. I guess I need to open a support ticket with that vendor to see whats up with that. I suspect a recent version update they pushed out to the client is when it started.

Slow or delayed start up times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.