Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Not Connecting to Airport Express; Airport Express Reboot

Hi,

I'm having an issue with iTunes (version 12.6.2.20) connecting to Airport Express (7.8.2). I'm using an iMac that's running OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6

I've been using Airport Express as airplay with an ethernet connection from my Xfinity wifi modem/router and a "headphone jack" out to my my amplifier for years with no problems. Recently iTunes stopped connecting to Airport Express (even after trying to "refresh" the connection in iTunes), and I cannot get it to reconnect.

Worse yet, while troubleshooting, I tried rebooting Airport Express and I cannot get it to reconnect to back to the computer. Or I've been able to get Airport Utility to recognize it (buy not iTunes), and sometimes this shuts down my internet connection. I think there's something going on with multiple wifi sources (I have 3, all of which are active?), but I really don't know and I'm just guessing at this point.

Any thoughts on first steps I can take to get Airport Express to reconnect with my iMac, and iTunes??

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 3:33 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Aug 8, 2019 5:23 PM in response to Cunnla

Thanks for sticking with me. Not fixed yet, but a few more thoughts as I troubleshoot...

• I reset/rebooted the Xfinity router 3 different ways - via the Xfinity website, hitting the reset button, and a total power down. No go on each - still no iTunes connection to Airport Express.
  • On the total Xfinity router power down, when it came back up it defaulted to "salsywifi" for internet connection. Knowing the Airport Express has to be on the same network, I tried setting Airport Express to the "salsywifi" network...and it disconnected me from the internet! The same problem vicious circle problem I reported above on 8/6.
  • I switched the internet network to "xfinitywifi" and it reconnected the internet....and Airport Express disappeared from Airport Utility.
  • The only time both the internet connection and Airport Express connection were BOTH in the "green" on Airport Utility was when I reset Airport Express and both it and internet were connected to "James's Wifi Network" as per my last screenshot from 8/6 (above).
  • I should note that in other troubleshooting I disconnected the ethernet cable from Airport Express and plugged it directly into my audio amplifier and iTunes connected that way flawlessly, even though at the other end the ethernet cable was plugged into my Xfinity router - so that tells me there's nothing wrong with the ethernet cable or the Xfinity router connection, correct?

One other idea on the ethernet cable connection...

• Would I have better luck if the ethernet was connected directly out of my iMac via the ethernet port in back and connected to the LAN port on Airport Express?

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

Aug 8, 2019 6:15 PM in response to jsalsman7

• Would I have better luck if the ethernet was connected directly out of my iMac via the ethernet port in back and connected to the LAN port on Airport Express?

That's similar to my setup which is working and is as follows: Airport Express connected to one of four LAN ports on router with ethernet cable; MacBook Pro linked to another LAN port on router with ethernet cable; audio amplifier (Line) connected to Airport Express 3.5mm audio minijack; home network with WPA2 password.

This setup works with wi-fi too.

Incidentally, when you post screenshots, delete or cover up your personal info, such as location, IP address et al.

Aug 5, 2019 7:51 PM in response to jsalsman7

Sorry, I overlooked the "Other Options" step in the hard reset. I've done that, and put both my internet and Airport Express on the same network.

Now the Airport Express unit and Airport Utility are flashing slow yellow for about 10 minutes or so with no result.

And, when I try to connect iTunes to Airport Express I'm getting the error message that started all this:

Any suggestions for next steps would be most welcome, and thank you again for your time and patience.

Aug 6, 2019 5:17 AM in response to Cunnla

No worries on the delay - I'm grateful for the help! I will try the Factory Default reset when I get home from work today in a few hours. I have not done that yet, but one more thing to note in the meantime if it helps with troubleshooting...

When I let the Airport Express run long enough it does go "green" , but....then it disconnects the internet for some reason...

This vicious circle has happened several times now, so I know I'm doing something incorrectly, but I can't figure out what. If there's something else I should try before trying Factory Reset of Airport Express just let me know, and thanks again!

Aug 6, 2019 4:44 PM in response to jsalsman7

There seems to be a problem with you wireless or Internet connection. One thing you might try is to change the wireless channel from Automatic to Channel 11 (a long time ago I saw some people recommending this).

Also, in Other Wi-fi devices you might try selecting Ethernet as the network interface. It's more reliable than wi-fi, especially for moving files or downloading.

Aug 6, 2019 5:52 PM in response to Cunnla

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't seem to have any drop down in my Airport Utility except the first two ("No new Wi-Fi devices discovered" and "No remote Airport Base stations discovered"). See screen shot below for my current settings where I have Airport Express back, both it any my internet connected to the same "James's Wi-Fi Network" and iTunes will still not connect (iTunes error message included below also).

These are my current settings - including the version of Airport Utility I'm running. Any other suggestions for trying to get iTunes to connect to Airport Express???

Thanks one and all for any help you can offer!

Aug 8, 2019 9:45 PM in response to Cunnla

I connected my iMac to my Xfinity router with another ethernet cable, and I got that working and connected. Internet and Airport Express are on the same network, and I was able to set the Wireless Options as you suggested on 8/6.

But I'm still getting the same iTunes error - cannot connect to Airplay device.

Any other suggestions? This has worked wonderfully for me for years and now it's just quit on me. I am completely stumped.

Aug 6, 2019 12:09 AM in response to jsalsman7

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, we're having a heatwave here and I was away from the computer for a while to cool off. 😎

I wonder why your Airport Express is described as "airplay device" as it should be your Base station.

Maybe instead of opting for "restore previous settings" you could reconfigure the base station in Airport Utility. You may have to go for Factory Default reset to do that.

Aug 7, 2019 7:49 PM in response to jsalsman7

Your System Prefs show Ethernet is not connected so you might try fixing that. Could be a poor cable connection from your router to your Airport Express.

Another thing to try is restarting the router. Just unplug it and wait a minute or so and power it back on. You can get more info on resets and restarts at the Xfinity website.

iTunes Not Connecting to Airport Express; Airport Express Reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.