Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan download

I have just restored our old iMac 7,1 with a SSD.

Loads so fast now!!

I have installed Snowleopard from the original CD, but would like to upgrade it to El Capitan which is the latest OSX that this hardware supports. El Capitan was running on the old HDD.

Have lost the "Time machine" backup, which would have been helpful, but was keen to get a clean install anyway.

When I open the Apple store app, I can see El Capitan, where I have downloaded it previously (in the listed purchases). There is a "download" button there, but is does not work.

I have also followed all the other links on the Apple site, but despite having a "download" or "get" button, these links also don't work.

Has this been removed from the Apple server?

I am in Australia, so not sure if this changes the options.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 6:46 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Aug 6, 2019 7:03 AM in response to macjack

The link works fine on my newer Mac using Mojave, but of course will not download the installer.

If I try it on the old iMac 7,2, and click the link, it says "cannot establish a secure connection...." . Its on the same network, so suspect it is due to the old version of Safari.

Is there a way to override and make it download?

El Capitan download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.