Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please... I need a direct download link to "Install OS X El Capitan.app”... The App Store won't let me download it.

I'm in an endless loop here...

I'm Attempting to locate and download "Install OS X El Capitan.app” from my 2017 iMac (running MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.5) at the App Store, so I can upgrade my old 2009 MacBook Pro (currently running MacOS Snow Leopard 10.6), but El Capitan is no longer available as a download at the App Store, at least for my newer iMac.  And if I attempt to download it, it checks my 2017 iMac OS Mojave version and says I'm just fine. Uggh.... I right clicked, but no option to download directly to my iMac. And in all the support pages it points me back to the App Store. For example, the how to page on "How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan" ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 ), it just sends me back to the App Store. I just need a direct link to download the file "Install OS X El Capitan.app”.

And my 2009 MacBook Pro's App Store is mostly hanging since I'm running the old factory install of OS Snow Leopard (that came with my laptop).  And the internet connection to Apple just crawls from this old 2009 MacBook Pro, but the duckduckgo website seems to work fine.  The old OS Snow Leopard and apps must be too old to handle the newer general outside internet world.  I'm stuck and can't seem to make progress.  I just wish there was a direct link for downloading the file "Install OS X El Capitan.app”.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John E. Reed

Austin, TX

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 12:27 PM

Apple does not provide direct download links for past full installers that are outside of the Mac App Store.

If you have updated your Snow Leopard installation to 10.6.8, you can install the Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard, and that may allow this El Capitan 10.11.6 download link to work on your 2009 iMac.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2019 12:27 PM in response to JohnXReed

Apple does not provide direct download links for past full installers that are outside of the Mac App Store.

If you have updated your Snow Leopard installation to 10.6.8, you can install the Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard, and that may allow this El Capitan 10.11.6 download link to work on your 2009 iMac.

Please... I need a direct download link to "Install OS X El Capitan.app”... The App Store won't let me download it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.