Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word 64-bit?

Hi all,

How does the updated 64-bit Word differ from the 32-bit Word?

I am currently using Word 2011. This means I don't have to pay yearly renewal. If I opt to select the 64-bit version, will that entail purchasing the Word program that has to be renewed yearly, or can it be installed with the 2011 version?

Thank you!

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 7:01 AM

Just as an aside, if you're a US military veteran, you can purchase an Office 365 Home subscription through the Exchange at a substantial discount.

Around the holidays, it goes on sale for around $29 per year (for 6 licenses and 6 TB of OneDrive cloud storage). I buy several years at a time worth and stack them up. Arguably a significantly better deal than purchasing the standalone version if you plan to upgrade in anything less than 5 or 6 years.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2019 7:01 AM in response to Curiousdoc

Just as an aside, if you're a US military veteran, you can purchase an Office 365 Home subscription through the Exchange at a substantial discount.

Around the holidays, it goes on sale for around $29 per year (for 6 licenses and 6 TB of OneDrive cloud storage). I buy several years at a time worth and stack them up. Arguably a significantly better deal than purchasing the standalone version if you plan to upgrade in anything less than 5 or 6 years.

Aug 6, 2019 6:59 AM in response to Curiousdoc

The 2011 version cannot be updated to be 64 bit compliant unfortunately. The difference is just the libraries and dependencies used by each. In an effort to streamline macOS, Apple is no longer supporting the very very old 32 bit libraries and dependencies for these old applications. Transition has been under way for many years now.

You can choose to get the monthly or yearly Office 365 subscription, or the one time purchase of Office 2019 if you prefer.

See here: https://products.office.com/en/buy/compare-microsoft-office-products-for-mac

Note that this is only necessary if you plan on updating to macOS 10.15 Catalina in the fall when it is released. It you plan on staying with High Sierra, then your Office 2011 will continue to work as it has.

Word 64-bit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.