Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening photos from icloud in macbook

Hello. I have a problem in opening photos took by my iphone in my macbook. When I try to open one, a triangle with an exclamation mark is appeared. That happens with all my photos took by my iphone. What can I do?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 11:17 AM

Well, there is a significant mismatch in ages between the iOS and macOS versions. Your iPhone Camera app may be taking pictures in a format (HEIC) that your macOS is not prepared to handle.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Camera > Formats. Is the selected option High Efficiency or Most Compatible? (Depending on the age of your phone hardware, you might not have the option.)

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2019 11:17 AM in response to nikolaos53

Well, there is a significant mismatch in ages between the iOS and macOS versions. Your iPhone Camera app may be taking pictures in a format (HEIC) that your macOS is not prepared to handle.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Camera > Formats. Is the selected option High Efficiency or Most Compatible? (Depending on the age of your phone hardware, you might not have the option.)

Aug 8, 2019 12:25 PM in response to nikolaos53

I believe that option affects only photos you take.

There are a number of apps and websites that claim to be able to convert HEIC photos to JPEG. I haven't tried any of them, so I cannot say for sure which ones work.

A free app that comes from a source I trust is iMazing HEIC Converter, available from the Mac App Store or by direct download from imazing.com. (I've used their flagship product, but not this converter.)

Opening photos from icloud in macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.