Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

latest macbook update (Aug 7th, 2019) is killing my battery

Hello all...

My Macbook pro updated yesterday, I'm pretty sure it was an OS update.

Now my battery drains within a couple hours, when it would last me 4 hours or so previous. I also notice, plugged in, and watching YouTube videos, the area above the 2,3,4 (or F2 and F3) near the hinge on the keyboard is super hot. Hot enough so I can only hold my finger there for around 10 seconds.

My Macbook pro A1398 (I think, my eyes aren't that great... lol)

Thanks,

Joe_Breezyjr

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 7:01 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 8, 2019 7:34 PM in response to Joe_Breezyjr

Hello Joe_Breezyjr,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your Mac battery and the computer getting hot. I have a few articles to help determine what may be causing the drain, and also to help determine if there is an issue with the battery.

1. Please start with this article: About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

2. If you still have issues, please check the cycle count as provided in here: Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks - Apple Support

3. You can also check the battery condition using the steps provided in this help article: Check the condition of your Mac computer’s battery - Apple Support

4. Relating to the heat, please check out this article: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

• "Use your Mac notebook on a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation. Don’t use your Mac notebook in your bed, on a pillow, or under covers."

5. This article will help you check apps and how they are affecting your computer, which can include heat and battery usage: See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

6. If you still have trouble, an SMC reset may help as it is responsible for thermal management: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Aug 9, 2019 5:05 AM in response to Joe_Breezyjr

1. it isn’t uncommon that immediately after an OS update or security update that your computer will have some work to do in the background which will result in a temporary increase of battery use. I try to do my updates and upgrades when I can keep the computer plugged in for a few hours or over night.
  2. sometimes an application or background service goes ‘rogue’ and just keeps running or throwing more threads, eating up CPU cycles and killing the battery life. In some cases you’ll realize this is happening because your computer feels sluggish but other times your only hint is a sudden reduction of battery life. This is when the old universal standby - a reboot - can do wonders. Activity Monitor is also useful in diagnosing a rogue service. After opening it, click on the energy tab and then click on the Energy Impact column to sort services from highest to lowest impact. You can also click on the CPU tab and click on the %CPU column to sort by greatest percentage of CPU usage. Between the 2 you can often identify the rogue. Click on it and force quit it. If that doesn’t work you can always come back here with a report of what you’ve discovered.

Aug 9, 2019 4:45 AM in response to sterling r

That's all great info except, everything was fine with my laptop prior to the update. It was after the update, I noticed right away my battery was draining faster then the previous day.

I'll check into the items listed above, but I know it had something to do with the update.

Joe_Breezyjr

EDIT... Everything listed above wasn't very helpful in my situation... But, I did reset the SMC, so, if that works, I'll reply.

latest macbook update (Aug 7th, 2019) is killing my battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.