Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen damage

I read on apple that the price to get your screen fixed with apple care is $29 but when i went to place the order to send it in it said it was going to be $169. Why is that?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 10:39 AM

It is only $29 if you have AppleCare+ and one of your two accidental damage claims still available. Otherwise, without AppleCare+ the price is higher. So you are being charged the normal out of warranty screen replacement fee for an iPhone 8+, not the AppleCare+ price.

5 replies

Aug 8, 2019 10:54 AM in response to elisamerlo11

Where did you go, and were they able to verify that you have AppleCare+? I assume you're in the United States given the prices you're using?

$169 plus tax is the US out of warranty price. But $29 is the AppleCare+ price if you can verify that you have it.

Are you being asked to pay the full freight, but you get a refund when it's returned. I've heard of that with Express Replacement.

Aug 8, 2019 12:48 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:
It is fairly clear they are referring to the standard AppleCare and they don't have AppleCare +. Your last sentence does not make any sense at all.

Exactly where can standard AppleCare be purchased in the United States for an iPhone 8 Plus? I didn't check the Express Replacement policy, which is to put an authorization hold for the full replacement value until the replaced device is received by Apple.

Aug 8, 2019 12:53 PM in response to y_p_w

You don't have to purchase standard AppleCare, it is the one year warranty that comes with any iPhone (blame Apple for the terminology, not me). And some countries do not have AppleCare + but you can still buy an extended AppleCare. Since AppleCare + is tied to the serial number of the device and the service center told them it would be $169 (the cost of an out-of-warranty screen replacement) it is pretty clear they did not have AppleCare +.

The charge for express replacement is not $169 and that would not factor into this anyway as $169 would not be the cost of the full device.

screen damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.