Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync not removing unchecked songs from iPhone Xs

I have an iPhone Xs running iOS 12.4.

My MacBook Pro is running OS X 10.14.5.

My iTunes version is 12.9.5.5.

I recently decided there were a bunch of songs synced to my iPhone that I didn't want on there anymore. I unchecked them in my iTunes sync. I double-checked to make sure the albums those songs are tied to were also unchecked. But, the songs are still on my iPhone.

I looked for other threads about this topic - unchecked songs not being removed when a sync is performed - but the ones I'm seeing are 5+ years old.

Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 2:08 PM

This seemed to work:

1. Reselected the songs I no longer want.
  2. Synced phone.
  3. Unselected the songs I no longer want.
  4. Synced phone.

The songs I no longer want still show on the phone, but they are greyed out and have the cloud link next to them (which is what I was expecting, but not seeing before).

Thanks, tt2!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2019 2:08 PM in response to turingtest2

This seemed to work:

1. Reselected the songs I no longer want.
  2. Synced phone.
  3. Unselected the songs I no longer want.
  4. Synced phone.

The songs I no longer want still show on the phone, but they are greyed out and have the cloud link next to them (which is what I was expecting, but not seeing before).

Thanks, tt2!

Aug 8, 2019 2:02 PM in response to turingtest2

I only have one manually synced track. The others that are unwanted (and unchecked) that are still syncing are *not* being manually synced.

I looked at the post on erratic syncing, but am not sure how it helps me. I realize I could do a back up of my phone, restore it as a new device, and restore my backup. But, my backup would include the songs I don't want, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Can you clarify?

Sync not removing unchecked songs from iPhone Xs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.