You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Highlighting in Pages.

Hello there,

I have a bit of a silly question to ask: whenever I try to highlight in Pages, it will only allow me to use the colors from the given palette. If I try using a custom color, nothing happens. This does not happen on Keynote, however.

Anyone else experiencing this?

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 2:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 3:44 PM

Apple's use of the word highlight is not a true word processing highlight, but rather a fixed palette of author colors used for document change tracking and Comments.

If you actually seek to place a custom, true highlight color behind selected text, then you want to use the Text Background color from the Advanced Options menu. This will have a pre-arranged palette of colors in the inkwell, or you can define your own text background color by selecting the adjacent color chooser globe.

The Insert menu : Highlight colors will not print, and the Advanced Option panel's Text Background color selection does. You can also define proper highlight colors from the Advanced Option panel as new Character Styles too.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2019 3:44 PM in response to kaeul_

Apple's use of the word highlight is not a true word processing highlight, but rather a fixed palette of author colors used for document change tracking and Comments.

If you actually seek to place a custom, true highlight color behind selected text, then you want to use the Text Background color from the Advanced Options menu. This will have a pre-arranged palette of colors in the inkwell, or you can define your own text background color by selecting the adjacent color chooser globe.

The Insert menu : Highlight colors will not print, and the Advanced Option panel's Text Background color selection does. You can also define proper highlight colors from the Advanced Option panel as new Character Styles too.

Highlighting in Pages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.