Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this write speed normal or I'm I having a faulty disk?

I'm Malshan,

I've recently bought a new MacBook Pro-15 2019.

Specs are:

i9 2.3GHz

16GB RAM

512GB SSD.

My concern is about the write speed of the disk. It's around 1800 MB/s. Please refer the below image. Is this normal or I'm I having a faulty disk? In the internet I saw disk speed is almost identical for both read and write and it's around 2500 MB/s.

I highly appreciate your help.

Thank you very much!

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 8:44 AM

Here is a test of my 3.5-in rotating Magnetic drive, installed in an internal bay in a Mac Pro silver tower. This drive was selected because it is especially fast for a rotating magnetic drive.

I think you have NOTHING to worry about.

8 replies

Aug 11, 2019 10:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant Bennet-Alder,

Yours read and write speeds are almost the same even it's not a SSD. That's the concern I have with my disk since it doesn't. But I now think there may be some other things which I suspect is the fileVault could cause this problem but I'm not sure at all. The difference is roughly 700 MB/s which is in my opinion is huge. I hope someone with this very specs will submit a result so that we can make sure that my result is acceptable or no I think.

Thank you so much to support me.

Aug 11, 2019 11:32 AM in response to MalshanFernando

Filevault will slow down the write speed on your tests. I don't normally test SSD speeds while booted from the SSD being tested since the results are not that reliable (Filevault, Spotlight indexing, software updates, etc. all interfere), but I have seen other users show significant differences between read & write speeds on their test results.

Aug 11, 2019 6:19 PM in response to MalshanFernando

Writes are normally quite a bit slower. Adding a write buffer can make the drive appear to write faster, but there is a trade-off.

Some manufacturers choose to add a larger buffer for write data, others use a smaller one. The larger the buffer, the higher the risk that data might be acknowledged, but a problem or power failure may intervene that results in data loss, so this is a real trade-off, not just a cheap-out kind of a choice.

Is this write speed normal or I'm I having a faulty disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.