Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong version of photo library

I upgraded my mini from Sierra to Mojave. I found some of my apps were incompatible so I reinstalled Sierra from a backup. Now when I try to open my photos library with the Photos app I get a message that the library is from a newer version of photos and that I should update my current photos app. I went into the app store to see if there was a newer version but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can access my photos library?

much thanks for the assistance

john

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 11:31 AM

The Photos.app is a part of the system. When you upgraded to Mojave, you upgraded to Photos 4.0. On Sierra you can only run Photos 2.0, and Photos 2.0 cannot open photo libraries that have been upgraded by Photos 4.0.

If you have an older version of your Photos Library from the time you used Sierra on your backup, restore this version. But do not overwrite your current library, you may need to recover the most recent photos from it.

If you do not have a Photos 2.0 backup of your Photos Library, it would be better to go back to Photos 4.0. You can then upload the library to iCloud Photos (Library). You may have to upgrade the iCloud Storage plan for at least a month.

When you now downgrade again to Sierra and Photos 2.0, you can download a Photos 2.0 version of your library from iCloud.Simply create a new empty library in Photos 2.0, then enable this library for iCloud Photos Library. The library you download fom iCloud will be a Photos 2.0 library. Without iCloud you cannot downgrade a Photos library to an earlier version. You can just extract all photos, but will lose your albums and titles, descriptions , keywords.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2019 11:31 AM in response to coltrane58

The Photos.app is a part of the system. When you upgraded to Mojave, you upgraded to Photos 4.0. On Sierra you can only run Photos 2.0, and Photos 2.0 cannot open photo libraries that have been upgraded by Photos 4.0.

If you have an older version of your Photos Library from the time you used Sierra on your backup, restore this version. But do not overwrite your current library, you may need to recover the most recent photos from it.

If you do not have a Photos 2.0 backup of your Photos Library, it would be better to go back to Photos 4.0. You can then upload the library to iCloud Photos (Library). You may have to upgrade the iCloud Storage plan for at least a month.

When you now downgrade again to Sierra and Photos 2.0, you can download a Photos 2.0 version of your library from iCloud.Simply create a new empty library in Photos 2.0, then enable this library for iCloud Photos Library. The library you download fom iCloud will be a Photos 2.0 library. Without iCloud you cannot downgrade a Photos library to an earlier version. You can just extract all photos, but will lose your albums and titles, descriptions , keywords.

wrong version of photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.