Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import my library “Photos Library” i. Photos App says it is a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.

I got this message "The library “Photos Library” is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.".

I had to format my Mac mini and I did a copy on external drive. When I try to use my Photos shows this message.

What to do?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 12:42 AM

why did you need to erase and reformat the volume? How did you reinstall the system? You may have installed an earlier version of the system.

It is not possible to open a Photos Library in an older version of Photos, only in the same version of Photos or a newer version. So upgrade to the same version of macOS X you had instaleld, before you reformatted the volume.

If you formatted the system volume to downgrade to an older system version and want to stick with this older system version, you need to restore an older version of your library from an older backup.

If your Photos Library is in iCloud, you can downgrade the library by by downloadind the library from iCloud to a new, empty Photos Library, see: Downgrading a Photos Library to a Previous Version of Photos with the Help of iCloud Photos

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 12:42 AM in response to hbertolini

why did you need to erase and reformat the volume? How did you reinstall the system? You may have installed an earlier version of the system.

It is not possible to open a Photos Library in an older version of Photos, only in the same version of Photos or a newer version. So upgrade to the same version of macOS X you had instaleld, before you reformatted the volume.

If you formatted the system volume to downgrade to an older system version and want to stick with this older system version, you need to restore an older version of your library from an older backup.

If your Photos Library is in iCloud, you can downgrade the library by by downloadind the library from iCloud to a new, empty Photos Library, see: Downgrading a Photos Library to a Previous Version of Photos with the Help of iCloud Photos

Apr 30, 2020 5:04 AM in response to hbertolini

I see. To reinstall and upgrade to the newest version you need usually Option-⌘-R, not ⌘-R.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

But all this will only work as advertised, if you are running a regular release version of MacOS X, with Beta versions all bets are off.

We are not allowed to discuss Beta problems in these forums, because of the non-disclosure agreement.

Apr 30, 2020 4:56 AM in response to léonie

Hi I reinstalled the system because I am having Bluetooth connections problem with the Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard and SOundbar. I used the Command+R. And I choose to reinstall a new (supposed to be the latest version ). That's where the problem was. Instead to install 10.15.4 Beta the apple Installed 10.15.1 Beta. Of course , it was older and My Photos dint open the library as you said. What Apple have to do is to check WHY Mac OS REINSTALL was not able to provide the LATEST version of BETA. Any further detail, call me by FaceTime.

Can't import my library “Photos Library” i. Photos App says it is a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.