Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo library from my external hard drive won't open with current macOS

I need help finding a solution to open up this Photo Library I moved to my external hard drive about 3 years ago. After updating to macOS Big Sur, doesn't seem like I can open this library up anymore.

Current Photos app version is 6.0 and this is the error message every time I try and open my older Photos library :

Please help me! :(

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 1:24 PM

This information may help. Be advised, it was updated in 2016. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202358

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 25, 2021 1:22 AM in response to sie0317

The error message you have shown can also appear, if you are using an outdated Photos icon in the Dock or an alias, still linked to an older version of Photos.

Try to launch the Photos.app installed in your Applications folder directly from Applications instead of using an alias or the Dock icon.

• Open the folder "Applications", then hold down the options key ⌥ while double clicking the Photos icon in Applications. Keep holding down the options key ⌥ firmly, until the library chooser dialog appears.
  • Release the options key ⌥, then look at the list of Photos Library. Is the library shown, that you want to open? By default you Photos Libraries are in the pIctures folder, unless you create them somewhere else. Did you backup the Pictures folder three years ago?

Jul 22, 2021 1:25 PM in response to sie0317

I think you have put the application photos (from an older version of MacOS) onto the external drive, and not your photos library.

The application photos is like the application pages, or the application Microsoft word, where the library is the equivalent of a pages or word document. The library is the object that contains your photos. The application Photos is the app you use to open and view the contents of the library.

You need to find the actual library from your older MacOS version. This will most likely be called Photos Library.photoslibrary or similar. Whatever it is called, it will definately have a .photoslibrary extension.

Photo library from my external hard drive won't open with current macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.