Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Foto Library

I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2020 M1, I have trouble with Photo Library. I have moved the photo library on an external drive and since the last software upgrade I had no issue. Now, after the software upgrade, when I try to open photo library from external drive the message is: "Photos was unable to open the library “MYNAME.photoslibrary”. (4302)"

How can it be solved?

Thanks I advance

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 12:46 PM

Hi

Every time I've seen this message in the last couple of weeks, associated with 11.5.1 or higher, it has been because the library is stored on an external volume with an incompatible format. Normally it is ExFAT, because that is the default for a new drive.

It looks to me that Apple have decided Photos will no longer work with libraries on ExFat drives, and possibly any other incompatible volume.

If this is the case here, you'll need to move your library to a compatible volume (Formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) with the ability to set the ignore ownership flag. The volume must also be directly connected (USB or Thunderbolt), not networked (No Ethernet, no Wi-Fi)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2021 12:46 PM in response to sil_mo25

Hi

Every time I've seen this message in the last couple of weeks, associated with 11.5.1 or higher, it has been because the library is stored on an external volume with an incompatible format. Normally it is ExFAT, because that is the default for a new drive.

It looks to me that Apple have decided Photos will no longer work with libraries on ExFat drives, and possibly any other incompatible volume.

If this is the case here, you'll need to move your library to a compatible volume (Formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) with the ability to set the ignore ownership flag. The volume must also be directly connected (USB or Thunderbolt), not networked (No Ethernet, no Wi-Fi)

Foto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.