Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not recognizing iPhoto Library

When I upgraded to MacOS 12.3.1 Photos stopped recognizing iPhoto Library on my external drive. When start Photos while pressing the alt opt key and choose the iPhoto Library I get "The library could not be opened. The library "iPhoto Library" could not be recognized." When I created a new library on the external drive I noticed it said Photos Library.photoslibrary which is different than the old library. i

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:28 PM

Are you trying to open an iPhoto library? What is the extension of the library you are trying to open.

The extension should be photoslibrary (no space).

It doesn't matter what the name is before the .

5 replies

Apr 5, 2022 3:26 PM in response to SalinaEd

Hi

Regarding the external drive - is it correctly formatted for a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives). Not case sensitive. If you have not formatted it after purchase it will most likely be ExFat - which is not compatible.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must be directly connected (No ethernet or wifi)

See

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Photos not recognizing iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.