Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsupported Photos Library on New Mac

I'm installing all my files and bits from a previous Mac to a new one, and everything has gone smoothly except for the Photos Library. When I click on Photos a pop-up says 'Unsupported Library' and then 'The library "Photos Library" is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.'

Can someone explain to me what I do here? My only options are to Quit or Open Other.. [library]. On my old Mac I've checked and everything is up to date, I can't find a newer version. So what can I do to bring all my photos onto this new device?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 12:52 PM

The message is telling you that the software on the new Mac needs updating. Photos is part of the macOS installation, so it will update as part of macOS update. New Macs come preinstalled with the macOS version that was available when they were manufactured, which may not be the most-recent version now available and was installed on your old Mac.

Go to System Preferences > Software Update to check what system update is available.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 12:52 PM in response to franz030

The message is telling you that the software on the new Mac needs updating. Photos is part of the macOS installation, so it will update as part of macOS update. New Macs come preinstalled with the macOS version that was available when they were manufactured, which may not be the most-recent version now available and was installed on your old Mac.

Go to System Preferences > Software Update to check what system update is available.

Unsupported Photos Library on New Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.