Photo library won't open on my new MAC; can't open my saved library from old MAC

I just got a new MAC and when I click the Photos Icon it says it can't open the library and gives me the option to quit or open another library.

First, I don't have any photos in my new MAC library so why won't it open?

Second, when I click the option to open another library and select my Photos library from my old mac (on an external hard drive) it says it "cannot create the path" and won't open my old library either.

Help?

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 2:03 PM

LarkinM wrote:

#1 - First, I don't have any photos in my new MAC library so why won't it open?

#2 - Second, when I click the option to open another library and select my Photos library from my old mac (on an external hard drive) it says it "cannot create the path" and won't open my old library either.

#1 - Try opening Photos with the Option key held down and select New Library in the next window.

#2 - how is the external drive formatted? What version of Photos crested the library? The library must be on a drive formatted either APFS or OS X Extended (journaled) and both, optimally, with Ownership set to be ignored.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 2:03 PM in response to LarkinM

LarkinM wrote:

#1 - First, I don't have any photos in my new MAC library so why won't it open?

#2 - Second, when I click the option to open another library and select my Photos library from my old mac (on an external hard drive) it says it "cannot create the path" and won't open my old library either.

#1 - Try opening Photos with the Option key held down and select New Library in the next window.

#2 - how is the external drive formatted? What version of Photos crested the library? The library must be on a drive formatted either APFS or OS X Extended (journaled) and both, optimally, with Ownership set to be ignored.

Photo library won't open on my new MAC; can't open my saved library from old MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.