Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app not finding library

I just set up a new macbook pro using a time machine backup from my mid-2010 macbook pro. When I try to open Photos, I get the error "Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”". Nothing from my Pictures folder is selectable when I try to find another library for it to open and I can't find "Photos Library.photoslibrary" with a search. I do have an "iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary" in my Pictures folder, which can't be opened because it's already been migrated. How do I get Photos to open my photos? My old computer works like a charm (but can't be upgraded past High Sierra), so I can still access them there. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 2, 2022 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 4:25 PM

HI

Do you still have the old macbook. If so, look to see where the library on that one is located by opening photos preferences.

Then look in the same location in your new macbook.

Alternatively - hold down the option key while starting photos (on the new mac). Are any libraries listed? If so, open each in turn to find your photos.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2022 4:25 PM in response to skj0216

HI

Do you still have the old macbook. If so, look to see where the library on that one is located by opening photos preferences.

Then look in the same location in your new macbook.

Alternatively - hold down the option key while starting photos (on the new mac). Are any libraries listed? If so, open each in turn to find your photos.

May 11, 2022 10:01 PM in response to skj0216

Time Machine is backing up the Photos Library as a part of the Time Machine backup. You have to run Time Machine to extract the library from the backup and to restore it. As the Photos Library is a complicated package of linked files and databases, you need to run Time Machine to recreate the internal links properly. See: Restore a library from Time Machine in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

May 6, 2022 4:29 PM in response to TonyCollinet

I checked my old computer and there is a Photos Library.photoslibrary file in Pictures (the migrated iphoto library is also there). I can also see the Photos Library in Time Machine on my old computer. So, the issue is that the Photos Library didn't get transferred to the new computer with Time Machine for some reason (it's also not there if I enter Time Machine on the new computer). It is not an option if I open photos while holding down the option key--there are no libraries listed there and none selectable when I go looking.

May 11, 2022 8:06 PM in response to skj0216

The issue was that the Photos library was not being copied to the hard drive I was using for time machine--even though I could see it in time machine on the old computer, it wasn't on the hard drive I used to save those backups. What is the use of that?! I thought the whole point of time machine was to back everything up, and it isn't really backed up if it's only saved on the same machine... I managed to copy the photos library and move it to the new computer (using the same external harddrive I use for time machine) and Photos now opens my photos. So now my question is: why isn't time machine saving my photos library on my external?

Photos app not finding library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.