Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book pro will not complete boot up after softwear update

I downloaded High Sierra and my Mac book pro will not boot up, it gets halfway through the starting bar and freezes for about a min, then the screen goes dark and I get what looks like a report crash, with a pop up that says "The macOS Installation couldn't be completed"

I have the option of Shut Down, Restart, Save Log.., View Log

I've tried restart to no avail and shut down.

This issue was first detected months ago, but because I didn't need to use my Mac Book pro then it was no big deal, so it might have been resolved since then.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 4:26 PM

Try these key combos on startup...

alt key

Shift key

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2019 4:26 PM in response to JPM333

Try these key combos on startup...

alt key

Shift key

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

Mac Book pro will not complete boot up after softwear update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.