Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Messaging

I have a new iPad mini v.5 with cellular service. When I purchased the iPad the staff at the Apple Store assured me I could send and receive text messages to anyone, not just to folks using an Apple product (iMessage), but I cannot do so. Please provide instructions for sending text messages to anyone.

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 7:19 AM

Hello,

Sending and Receiving cellular text messages (green bubbles) requires you to have an iPhone. If you have an iPhone head into Settings -> Messages -> Text Message Forwarding. If you do not have an iPhone then you will not be able to send/receive SMS messages.

2 replies

Aug 10, 2019 7:18 AM in response to DavidfromAprilSound

Sorry, but without an iPhone you are limited to texting using iMessage only to other iOS users. Did you post this question a few days ago? If you did, I let you (or whoever the other person) know this isn't possible without a companion iPhone.

iPad with celllular is for data only. iPad does not have a cellular radio like a cell phone, therefore it cannot text using cellular radio for SMS/MMS.

So, your options are as follows:

1. Purchase an iPhone (which would make so many things better in terms of syncing data across devices)
  2. Use a 3rd party texting service (it won't let you use your cell number to text to or from)
  3. Use your 14 day no questions asked return policy and get your money back

Text Messaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.