You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not receive text messages on my iPhone without data?

I recently purchased an iPhone 11.

I informed the sales person that I do not have a data plan with a provider. That with my previous Samsung and LG phones I was able to receive texts messages when I was not in

a wifi area(vehicle etc) however as many people I communicate with have iPhones, I am unable to receive there phone texts or messages as they go straight to my iPhone address

i have changed the settings, but still having this issue

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 6:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 6:41 AM

Note that MMS messages, via your carrier, also require cellular data. An MMS message sends the text portion over the cellular telephone voice network, just like a SMS text, but the image or data portion of an MMS text is sent over a cellular data connection (and cannot use WiFi).

iMessage, like other proprietary internet messaging services (also Skype, Google hangouts, etc) rely on an internet connection and so must use either a WiFi connection to the internet, or a cellular data connection to the internet.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2021 6:41 AM in response to josey20

Note that MMS messages, via your carrier, also require cellular data. An MMS message sends the text portion over the cellular telephone voice network, just like a SMS text, but the image or data portion of an MMS text is sent over a cellular data connection (and cannot use WiFi).

iMessage, like other proprietary internet messaging services (also Skype, Google hangouts, etc) rely on an internet connection and so must use either a WiFi connection to the internet, or a cellular data connection to the internet.

Why can I not receive text messages on my iPhone without data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.