Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update iTunes on PC despite internet connection

I have iTunes installed on my PC with windows 7, but it's been years since I've updated it. Despite there being no internet connection issues and despite being able to connect to the iTunes store, I get the following error when I click on "Check for Updates": "The iTunes update server could not be contacted. Please check your internet connection or try again." When I click on "iTunes Help," I get the error - "iTunes Help is not available because your computer is not connected to the internet." I understand that apple had decided to discontinue iTunes, so i don't know if this is possible or even necessary, but if it is possible, how should I do the update?

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 6:42 PM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2019 6:42 PM in response to King_of_Luddites

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Aug 11, 2019 11:32 AM in response to King_of_Luddites

King_of_Luddites wrote:

... I understand that apple had decided to discontinue iTunes, ...

No, it has not.

iTunes on the Mac operating system is to be separated into three distinct functions if the user updates to the next version of Mac OS. Those users will still be able to access their music.

There has been no announcement about iTunes for Windows, so for the foreseeable future, for anyone using Windows OS, there is no change to the way iTunes works.

Can't update iTunes on PC despite internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.