Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start Up utility not recognizing USB boot disk

I'm trying to create a bootable USB. I followed the instructions as outlined:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

It appeared to create the bootable installer as per the instructions. However, when I try to select the new disk from the startup, it is not listed.

Here is what I see from the Start Up App. Also below is the the USB information.

Any suggestions?

(I'm on a Mac Mini 2014 with Mojave 10.14.5)

Thanks

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 5:58 PM

I believe that I see your problem. You will have to Erase it and start over. Your Data Traveler G3 USB drive has to be formatted MacOS (Extended Journaled), which it appears to be. However, you need to use a GUID Partition Map scheme, not Master Boot Record. Try that and see if it works. It should show up in System Preferences/ Startup Disk. I just plugged my macOS 10.14.6 bootable USB installer in, and it showed up right away as a startup disk.

If you copy the command from the Apple Support Article, make sure to name the drive "MyVolume" (without the quotation marks). Open Terminal and paste the command in the Terminal window. Enter your administrative password. It will ask if you want to erase your USB drive. Hit the Y key on the keyboard and Enter. Give a little time to finish.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2019 5:58 PM in response to TimMerc

I believe that I see your problem. You will have to Erase it and start over. Your Data Traveler G3 USB drive has to be formatted MacOS (Extended Journaled), which it appears to be. However, you need to use a GUID Partition Map scheme, not Master Boot Record. Try that and see if it works. It should show up in System Preferences/ Startup Disk. I just plugged my macOS 10.14.6 bootable USB installer in, and it showed up right away as a startup disk.

If you copy the command from the Apple Support Article, make sure to name the drive "MyVolume" (without the quotation marks). Open Terminal and paste the command in the Terminal window. Enter your administrative password. It will ask if you want to erase your USB drive. Hit the Y key on the keyboard and Enter. Give a little time to finish.

Aug 19, 2019 10:08 AM in response to TimMerc

Thanks Eau and fussymo.

Neither of those options worked.

With regards to formatting the usb drive as a GUID Partition Map scheme, that option does not exist. When use the disk utility, the partition options is greyed out:

In the format option, I only get the below selections:

Eau, when I try your suggestion, I still only see the internal drive as an option to start up, not the USB.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2019 6:05 PM in response to TimMerc

Here is an formatting example using a SanDisk USB drive. The main device is the "SanDisk Cruzer Switch Media", not the volume "Untitled" beneath it. You have to select the main drive device to get the GUID Partition map option. Yours would probably be your "Kingston Data Traveler G3 Media", or something like that.

Start Up utility not recognizing USB boot disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.