Terminal returns command not found re: USB bootable drive MacOS

I am trying to create a bootable USB drive using the standard method suggested by Apple.

Terminal returns e.g. "sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found".

I say "e.g." because command will vary depending on which OS you want to use for the bootable USB.

I've checked the filename of the .app in Applications folder and it's identical to that in the sudo command (pasted-above).

I can't vouch for the contents ("Show Package Contents") but I suspect the issue is more with Terminal - or maybe the USB isn't formatted correctly (Disk Utility needed perhaps?).

I've installed XCode in some form (not visible as an app) to assist Terminal, and the sudo command on its own seems to work.

I'm running "Monterey 12.7.1" and "Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB", "2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5".

Are you able to help, anyone?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 2:31 PM

Okay thanks for this, I have now formatted it to "journaled" from Disk Utility and now reached "Copying installer files to disk" - which is much further than before so thank you already.

I will report back as soon as possible for the next update - hopefully this is visible for others to benefit from (so far).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2023 2:31 PM in response to WheelieNick

Okay thanks for this, I have now formatted it to "journaled" from Disk Utility and now reached "Copying installer files to disk" - which is much further than before so thank you already.

I will report back as soon as possible for the next update - hopefully this is visible for others to benefit from (so far).

Terminal returns command not found re: USB bootable drive MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.