Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to create a bootable installer as per instructions, but terminal says: ...createinstallmedia: command not found What could be the reason and do I fix it?

Hello, I'm trying to create a bootable USB drive and trying to do it in Terminal according to the Apple instructions:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

(With replacing MyVolume with the name of the USB drive). 

Terminal says: 
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

How can I fix it? Is there any other ways to do it?

Thanks you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 2:03 PM

Sash47 wrote:

As for Install macOS Big Sur, I can't see it in Applications and don't know what it is, is it an app?

In order to create a bootable installer you actually have to download the Big Sur installer first.

You can get it here: How to download macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

I'm trying to create a bootable installer as per instructions, but terminal says: ...createinstallmedia: command not found What could be the reason and do I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.