Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command not found - Big Sur when creating boot drive

Trying to load a boot drive on Big Sur.

Input the following command in terminal per instructions on Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support page and renamed the volume according to the USB drive. It let me input a password and returned

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia

(/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB20FD)

It let me input a password and returned

sudo: /Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 4:54 PM

Make sure you have the full installer in the Applications folder. Sometimes only a stub installer is downloaded. I think the Big Sur installer should be around 12GB in size...a stub installer is usually just MBs in size. If only the stub installer is there, then run the stub installer which will finish downloading the rest of the installer. Once the download is finished, the installer will ask questions....at this point just quit the installer like you would any other app. You should now be able to run the Terminal command to create the USB installer.

You can also use the command line to download the Big Sur installer using:

softwareupdate  -d  --fetch-full-installer  --full-installer-version  11.7.4

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 4:54 PM in response to becca_s

Make sure you have the full installer in the Applications folder. Sometimes only a stub installer is downloaded. I think the Big Sur installer should be around 12GB in size...a stub installer is usually just MBs in size. If only the stub installer is there, then run the stub installer which will finish downloading the rest of the installer. Once the download is finished, the installer will ask questions....at this point just quit the installer like you would any other app. You should now be able to run the Terminal command to create the USB installer.

You can also use the command line to download the Big Sur installer using:

softwareupdate  -d  --fetch-full-installer  --full-installer-version  11.7.4

Command not found - Big Sur when creating boot drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.