sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

I have an old mid-2007 24" iMac with an erased HD that I'm trying to install Mac OS X El Capitan on. Using cmd-R/option-cmd-R utility via the internet 'downloads' EL Capitan but doesn't reboot and install the OS, it just returns to the utility screen or hangs.

I've tried to create a bootable USB drive on my current 2019 iMac Retina 27" running Ventura but get the above error message. How do to get this to work? Or is my old Mac now just an expensive paper-weight?

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 7:45 AM

Your 2019 iMac is not compatible with the El Capitan OS needed to create the bootable installer.

You'll need to look at the options 1) or 2) that den.thed posted, or find an older Mac (late-2015 or older) that is compatible with El Capitan and use that to create your bootable installer.

Please see: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2023 7:45 AM in response to DamonJynx

Your 2019 iMac is not compatible with the El Capitan OS needed to create the bootable installer.

You'll need to look at the options 1) or 2) that den.thed posted, or find an older Mac (late-2015 or older) that is compatible with El Capitan and use that to create your bootable installer.

Please see: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Jun 11, 2023 7:46 AM in response to DamonJynx

Well, you would need a copy of the El Capitan installer from How to download macOS but I expect your current Mac may be too new to create one. You could try it.

Which install disks do you have?

FWIW, a 2007 iMac has zero value and even if you could get El Capitan installed on it, it's no longer supported, won't run any modern software or be able to access many websites etc. If it were mine, I would take it to the nearest Apple Store to be recycled.

Jun 11, 2023 8:52 AM in response to DamonJynx

DamonJynx wrote:

1. I don't have it. I do however have ti=he install discs from a Macbook of the same era but it doesn't load.
2. Don't have.
3. This is what I've done, but following the instructions results in the: command not found message.

1. Disc's from other Mac's are system specific will not work.
  2. Apple no longer sells the Retail Upgrades, but you can still find them at Amazon and E-Bay.
  3. You need to use an older Mac, but that hinges on connecting with the server and other obstacles.

Jun 11, 2023 7:29 AM in response to DamonJynx

Assuming you've already downloaded El Capitan, the correct Terminal command is…

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

You have to either name the USB flash drive you are using to MyVolume or change MyVolume in the command to the name of the flash drive.

Jun 11, 2023 7:43 AM in response to DamonJynx

Sorry, that was meant to be for Den.Thed's response.

Did that, copied the command directly from Apple Support, and it generated the "command not found" message. Copied the line from your post same result. When I formatted the USB MyVolume, for some reason it did so as Uppercase, I changed the command to suit and got the same message...

Jun 11, 2023 8:52 AM in response to DamonJynx

Once you find a Mac that's suitable for creating your bootable installer …

Please make sure that when you enter the command, you type a backslash (\) character before each embedded space in the file name. If you don't do this, the shell will interpret the spaces as separating different parameters, rather than as being part of the file name. Then you'll get a command not found error because there wasn't any command called /Applications/Install.

sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.