Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 13 2019 black flashes in part of the screen

Hey!

I just got a MBP 13 2019, with touch bar, and sometimes I'm experiencing black flashes in part of the screen for a fraction of a second.

I don't know if they are more or less normal, or what is going on. I really think they are related to software, but could be anything. In the beginning I thought that they were related just to safari, but I just experience one while on Mail App, so perhaps are more system wide, it's just that I happen to be on Safari while they happen.

The issue seems to happen more often while on battery, but right now I'm connected to the power source.

Seems that there are some other people experiencing something similar, but I don't know if it's the same issue.

Is any of you experiencing the same or similar issue?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 9:30 AM

Yes, the issue goes away for a while, only to return later. I have had some mild flickering right after waking my machine up, so perhaps you're right, but I've also had the same issue a long time after wake up. So there's definitely something else at play here.

12 replies

Aug 12, 2019 9:07 PM in response to lpuerto

I've been working on battery part of the day… and opening and closing the lid at pleasure… no flash today. I really think it's something that happens when you haven't reboot the computer for a while. I mean, something go wrong in the software that manage the screen and that is the result (I guess).

Anyhow, this is just a guess and of course could be also something related to hardware.

Aug 18, 2019 6:29 AM in response to lpuerto

Hey @lpuerto,

Quick update (and possible solution): last week, I noticed that the flickering occurs especially when the screen is adjusting to a new/warmer ambient light. I decided to turn off True Tone and auto-brightness, and haven't had a single glitch ever since! This was on Thursday, BTW.

I suggest you try doing the same, let me know if it works for you. If this is indeed about True Tone and/or auto-brightness, I would imagine Apple can solve it through a software update.

MBP 13 2019 black flashes in part of the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.