Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone USB Message:"This Media Cannot be Used" charges phone but will not play music

I have an IPhone X. I plug my USB in to my truck and it says "This media cannot be used" however, it still charges my phone. What can I do to fix this? I have cleaned the port with rubbing alcohol and checked my settings and everything seems to be normal. I even did the most recent update after it started doing this.

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 7:09 PM

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

Apple recommends using only accessories that Apple has certified and that come with the "Made for Apple" badge. Learn about the issues that counterfeit or uncertified Lightning accessories can cause and how to identify these accessories.

If you use a counterfeit or uncertified Lightning accessory, you could see these issues:

• Your iOS device could become damaged
  • The cable might be easily damaged
  • The connector end might fall off, get very hot, or might not fit properly into your device
  • You might not be able to sync or charge your device

Only Apple makes the USB-C to Lightning Cable. There are no "Made for Apple" USB-C to Lightning cables.

Compare packaging and writing on the cable

To identify counterfeit or uncertified cables and accessories, look carefully at the accessory's packaging and at the accessory itself. Certified third-party accessories have the MFi badge on their packaging:

Some accessories might have a previous version of the MFi badge:

An Apple Lightning to USB cable has "Designed by Apple in California" and either "Assembled in China," "Assembled in Vietnam," or "Indústria Brasileira" on the cable about seven inches from the USB connector. You'll see a 12-digit serial number at the end of this text.

A certified, third-party Lightning to USB cable usually has company branding on the Lightning-connector end.

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2019 7:09 PM in response to Tmatt1191

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

Apple recommends using only accessories that Apple has certified and that come with the "Made for Apple" badge. Learn about the issues that counterfeit or uncertified Lightning accessories can cause and how to identify these accessories.

If you use a counterfeit or uncertified Lightning accessory, you could see these issues:

• Your iOS device could become damaged
  • The cable might be easily damaged
  • The connector end might fall off, get very hot, or might not fit properly into your device
  • You might not be able to sync or charge your device

Only Apple makes the USB-C to Lightning Cable. There are no "Made for Apple" USB-C to Lightning cables.

Compare packaging and writing on the cable

To identify counterfeit or uncertified cables and accessories, look carefully at the accessory's packaging and at the accessory itself. Certified third-party accessories have the MFi badge on their packaging:

Some accessories might have a previous version of the MFi badge:

An Apple Lightning to USB cable has "Designed by Apple in California" and either "Assembled in China," "Assembled in Vietnam," or "Indústria Brasileira" on the cable about seven inches from the USB connector. You'll see a 12-digit serial number at the end of this text.

A certified, third-party Lightning to USB cable usually has company branding on the Lightning-connector end.

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566

IPhone USB Message:"This Media Cannot be Used" charges phone but will not play music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.