Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CharJenPro USB-C 3.1 HUB/ADAPTER work with the 2018 Mac mini?

CharJenPro USB-C 3.1 HUB/ADAPTER work with the

Several other Mini questions but they all follow this. Old & Slow. Your patience is appreciated. -_Q

CharJenPro.com

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 11:21 AM

I respectfully disagree. Depending on the devices/peripherals clivefromsooke is wishing to connect, and the bandwidth they require, it may be more prudent to group several low-bandwidth devices onto a USB C to USB 3 hub rather than each taking up a full USB C / Thunderbolt 3 port.

9 replies

Aug 12, 2019 9:48 PM in response to MikeWard1701

USB 3 is known to interfere in the 2.4 GHz band used by WiFi and Bluetooth. USB hubs amplify that interference which the 2018 mini in particular is sensitive to. While Apple has a how-to note on dealing with it, it doesn’t mention the best way which is to avoid hubs altogether.

You can by

• buy a do-it-all memory card reader
  • switch to WiFi printing
  • donate the NEC to a local school
  • junk all odds and sods
  • live happily after

Imo, the 2018 mini is about living with physical less. I hope it’s next iteration has fewer USBs, an Apple-branded coffee coaster and a real aluminum chassis. More on that when you’re in your 80s! Enjoy.

Aug 16, 2019 10:37 AM in response to hcsitas

The return of old’nSlo

You can by

• buy a do-it-all memory card reader

• Done - sort of. USB_C  SD & Micro SD + 3 -USB3 slots (need these for external HDD’s.) It’s working well & is certainly fast.

• switch to WiFi printing

• Already doing that. Never a problem

• donate the NEC to a local school

• Came close.
  • Display adapter did not work but DVI to HDMI adapter does so NEC stays as 2nd screen. At least for now.  -_Q

• junk all odds and sods 

• I’m trying… I really really am trying!!

• live happily after

• Nearly there … & will certainly be there after a bit more guidance please…. So if you’re up for it:

SSD 251 GB

What’s considered best practice here for a set up? 

Partition it out so the OS has its own partition? (If Yes how large a partition) All apps in a 2nd partition?

And what about data - OSX ‘Libraries’? 

I’ve been using external HHD’s for both photo & movies libraries. Do the same with Documents etc?   Is there anything that should NOT be on the externals?

Migration Assistant.

This has been a bit baffling/frustrating.  

Is there a granular reading somewhere? 

There’s far too much on the iMac for the SSD 251GB which MA showed. The next screen allowed various selections but I could not get deep enough to be specific about selections. Does that make sense? 

The SSD setup is likely the most important part of this Y/N?

“More on that when you’re in your 80s!”

Your youthful optimism is appreciated.  -_Q

CliveK

Aug 12, 2019 4:44 PM in response to clivefromsooke

Thank you both --

I do need card readers. I have a new LG HDR 4K monitor in 1 Tbolt port and I have an older but still very much functioning NEC EA231WMI which, if I've understood everything correctly(dubious prospect) Will connect via display port or HDMI.

Also have an older 50/50 USB2-3 hub with 2 Toshiba HD's as backup which I hope to at some point replace with an SSD. a High end large diaphram mic (USB) The big Time machine router and a few other odds & sods.

I'm basically 'trying' to future proof myself/wife as I'm quite sure this 2018 mini will outlive me early 70's I am..

This 2018 Mini and the LG 4k (2019) is the first NEW gear I've purchased since a 386DX 4Meg of ram 52MEG HDD 256 gray scale Hand held scanner DeskJet 500 printer Win 3.0. Been thru a ton of other stuff but nothing NEW since an outlandish outlay back when in excess of $5K . -_Q

Thanks again to you both. Valid observations. Took the charjen people gently to task for not being specific about compatibility with the 2018 mini. Thier specs list just about everything else Mac-like but not a mention of the 2018 Mini.

CliveK

Aug 12, 2019 5:04 PM in response to hcsitas

Well well well... all is not well in my wobbly orbit.

My new LG HDR 4K monitor refreshes at 60Kz and charjen has just replied with:

"For the Mac mini, since it has pretty much all the ports, there aren’t many that use our hub for the Mac Mini. 

Regardless, all our Hub does 4K @ 30HZ not 4K@60Hz. 

So it would not suit your use case. Sorry. "

So I'm now open for some hand-holding here. Future proofing is the main objective. The NEC monitor I realize doesn't require a Tbolt port.... getting very confused Thanks for what comes back...

CliveK

Aug 16, 2019 11:19 AM in response to clivefromsooke

Good news, partitioning/libraries/OSX etc. all out of my league. But there are plenty of heavyweights who should chip in in short order.

In case you’re curious, my setup has has no special partitions, I use it to only install apps and also store critical data (15 GB of scans, spreadsheets and documents), so it gets backed-up automatically several times daily. All my media files are stored on an external encrypted 1 TB USB 3 which also serves as the backup drive. For media file edits, I pull them from the external to the mini and push them back when done. I mirror that drive manually every now and then to another.

In short, because I’ve always segregated data to external/network drives, I’ve had no need for the migration assistant (whew!). Assuming your data is organized for easy movement, you might find my method appealing, push it all to a spare drive and connect externally. If it’s all over the place, migration assistant is probably the way to go. Good luck!

CharJenPro USB-C 3.1 HUB/ADAPTER work with the 2018 Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.