Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound from internal speakers but headphones work fine

Hi, just got my first new Mac since my Mac 512E in 1986. It's the MacBook Air 13inch. The sound was working fine until I plugged in some headphones. Now I only get sound using the headphones. Never from the internal speakers anymore. I've checked a few articles and done basic troubleshooting. From the system preferences sound app it see's the internal speakers but won't use them. Any idea's?

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 10:21 AM

In addition to K Shaffer's good advice, you might try a NVRAM reset:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Also if you can't sort it yourself, any new Mac you purchased from Apple has a 14-day return policy. And you have 90 days of free telephone support (800)MYAPPLE.

4 replies

Aug 12, 2019 10:14 AM in response to rmorrissey64

There may be an issue with audio out port, an internal switching mechanism

inside the port may have stuck; this would (then) disconnect speakers.

Sometimes by re-inserting the headphone plug into the jack, the issue may self-resolve. Or see if you can go to an apple service or official store and have someone there check the device; with a much older and traveled mac, there could be dust in the port; however with a new unit that should not be the case.

(Also, not all stereo headphone jacks are equal; some do have different 'steps' or other irregularities.)

Good luck & happy trails!🌞

no sound from internal speakers but headphones work fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.