Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annotate an Email on IPAD with Pencil

Apple says you can use the IPad Pencil to "Mark up email, screenshots, and more.You can write and sketch on email messages". It only seems to give me an option to create and insert an attachment. This is not the same as marking up an email so that I can reply to the sender.

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 5:02 PM

Hello,

Whenever you receive an attachment in an email, such as a PDF document, you can mark the document up and email it back to the sender. If you wish to markup the actual email message then you will need to take a screenshot before hand.

5 replies

Aug 13, 2019 5:19 AM in response to SimchaSails

Thanks. I think Apple’s description is misleading and should be corrected. While this can address the need in some cases, it gets difficult when an email is longer than a screen. Then you need to turn the email into a PDF, store it, reply to the original email attach the email PDF and then you can mark it up. The problem is many people do not bother to read attachments because they are on their IPhones that may not down load it. Hoping Apple improves this in the future.

Aug 13, 2019 12:45 PM in response to SimchaSails

Hello,

Apple has announced that apart of this Fall’s iPadOS 13 release that you will be able to take full page screenshots meaning if there is a long email you wish to take a screenshot of, you can screenshot the entire message instead of what is being shown on the active window.

This being said in Mail if you tap the reply button on the message and then tap print you can use a 2 finger pinch gesture on the print preview for the email to open as a PDF which would let you markup the message as you wish.

Annotate an Email on IPAD with Pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.