Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk encryption options missing from context menu and Disk Utility

I'm using Mojave 10.14.5

I'm trying to encrypt a USB drive but the instructions here do not work for me:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/encrypt-and-protect-a-disk-with-a-password-dskutl35612/mac

More specifically, the Scheme pop-up menu mentioned in step 6 does not appear for me. Instead I see these options only:

https://i.gyazo.com/79efae75bc0b7cd30fe1ec63962042cd.png

I also do not see a Format popup menu, as mentioned in step 7 at the link above. I have a Format dropdown with just a few options, none of which is an encrypted file format.

I also have no "Encrypt disk" options in my context menu, which apparently is a standard feature in Mojave.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 6:51 AM

You need to click on "View", then select "Show All Devices". You are trying to reformat the Volume "Untitled". This is not your main drive, but it is a volume on your main drive. You need to erase and reformat the main drive device. You have to use a GUID Partition Map Scheme on the main device to get all the format options, including encryption options. The main device on my screenshot is the "SanDisk Cruzer Switch Media", not the Volume "Untitled" below it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2019 6:51 AM in response to meowist

You need to click on "View", then select "Show All Devices". You are trying to reformat the Volume "Untitled". This is not your main drive, but it is a volume on your main drive. You need to erase and reformat the main drive device. You have to use a GUID Partition Map Scheme on the main device to get all the format options, including encryption options. The main device on my screenshot is the "SanDisk Cruzer Switch Media", not the Volume "Untitled" below it.

Aug 12, 2019 4:24 PM in response to meowist

Open Disk Utility. Select" View/ Show All Devices". Choose the drive device you want to reformat in the left sidebar. Then select "Erase" at the top toolbar. First select Scheme. Make the Scheme GUID Partition Map. Then select Format, and you will get all your options including encryption in the dropdown. Make your format selection then click on Erase at the bottom right of the dropdown.

Disk encryption options missing from context menu and Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.