Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to encrypt a external hard drive?

I did open a new Finder window, right clicked on the External Drive (Seagate) but encryption option wasn't listed. Is there any way to encrypt without erasing and re-formatting the external hard drive?

Mojave 10.4.6 is installed on my Mack.

Thanks,

_Mark

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 8:24 PM

Magic25 Said:

"How to encrypt a external hard drive?: This are the options:"

-------

Use Disk Utility:

Try this Link: Encrypt and protect a storage device with a password in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Alos...

Compress these:

If you were to compress these into a ZIP file, you could encrypt it, and then when someone wants to access them, they would be prompted to enter a password.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 8:24 PM in response to Magic25

Magic25 Said:

"How to encrypt a external hard drive?: This are the options:"

-------

Use Disk Utility:

Try this Link: Encrypt and protect a storage device with a password in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Alos...

Compress these:

If you were to compress these into a ZIP file, you could encrypt it, and then when someone wants to access them, they would be prompted to enter a password.

Jul 1, 2021 8:59 PM in response to Magic25

Magic25 Said:

"I am aware of using Disk Utility where you have to erase first all the data from the HD, and I wanted to avoid that. The zip option is intersant but not practical for my use. I probably will explore the use of a free Encryption software for Mac to do the job or last option buying a new external HD."

-------

Contact Seagate:

One last thought is to contact Seagate, seeing what they have to say on this:

Jul 1, 2021 6:17 PM in response to Magic25

Magic25 Said:

"How to encrypt a external hard drive?: I did open a new Finder window, right clicked on the External Drive (Seagate) but encryption option wasn't listed. Is there any way to encrypt without erasing and re-formatting the external hard drive? Mojave 10.4.6 is installed on my Mack. Thanks, _Mark"

-------

So, right clicking on it, you don't see something like this?:

BTW: Mojave is 10.14 or 10.4

How to encrypt a external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.