Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages for Mac changes my default paragraph style every time I hit the "Return" key.

I'm writing a manuscript in Pages. I have a body text set to Garamond 16pt. Every time I end a paragraph and hit the return key the style changes to Tekton Pro 12pt bold, which is a style I use in other parts of the manuscript. But I can't understand why it keeps changing itself to Tekton Pro. My work has ground to a halt. Any ideas?

MacOS 10.14.6, Pages 8.1.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 6:57 PM

For Pages v8.1, starting with a Blank template, the Text panel's More tab defaults the Following Paragraph Style selector to Same. Otherwise, as a selector, it may be set to other paragraph styles including Body.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 12, 2019 6:38 PM in response to Steve Ingram

Do you have a Body Style set to Garamond 16pt, or do you just select and format the text in this paragraph to Garamond 16pt?

Search Pages Help for "Styles" for information about creating and saving a Style for settings you use often.

As I recall (it's been awhile), Paragraph Styles definitions contained a line controlling what happened on the next paragraph, with 'keep same style' and 'revert to previous paragraph style' being two of the choices.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 12, 2019 6:52 PM in response to Barry

I'm using a Body Style set to Garamond 16pt. Your point about a Paragraph Styles definition that controls what happens on the next paragraph (Keep same style / revert to previous paragraph) sounds like a possibility, but I can't find such a thing in Pages.

For now I have changed the other style to Garamond 16pt as well, so even when Pages switches the paragraph style I'm good. Maybe it is just a corrupt pages file or something. Quitting Pages and restarting doesn't seem to help. I'll try opening a new document and see what happens.

Pages for Mac changes my default paragraph style every time I hit the "Return" key.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.