Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview not responding

Before i opened multiple pdf files together on preview (600 pages) and tried searching for a word. It became unresponsive so i forced closed it. Now whenever i try an open a file on preview it joins the pile of unresponsive windows.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 12:24 AM

Have you tried restarting your Mac?

Mac's go through a 'cleanup' routine on every startup, sweeping out the crud that tends to accumulate.

Have you tried a 'Safe Mode" restart?

Sometimes a 'normal' restart isn't enough. A startup into Safe Mode triggers a more extensive set of clean and repair routines.

It takes longer, and you will observe a distinct slowdown and much worse video performance during safe mode.

To perform a Safe Mode startup:

• In the Apple menu, choose Restart

The computer will go through the regular shutdown routine, then automatically restart.

• Be ready, and press an hold the Shift key as soon as you hear the startup chime.
  • Keep the shift key pressed until you see the Apple logo and a progress bar beneath it, then…
  • release the key and wait for the startup process to finish.
  • Launch Prevue, and load a file (I would AVOID using the 600 page file at this point.
  • Other than slowness and degraded video performance, does Preview behave normally?
  • Go to the Apple menu and do a normal restart.
  • Lunch Preview, and check its performance again.

Further information on Safe Mode here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 12:24 AM in response to ZaWarudo

Have you tried restarting your Mac?

Mac's go through a 'cleanup' routine on every startup, sweeping out the crud that tends to accumulate.

Have you tried a 'Safe Mode" restart?

Sometimes a 'normal' restart isn't enough. A startup into Safe Mode triggers a more extensive set of clean and repair routines.

It takes longer, and you will observe a distinct slowdown and much worse video performance during safe mode.

To perform a Safe Mode startup:

• In the Apple menu, choose Restart

The computer will go through the regular shutdown routine, then automatically restart.

• Be ready, and press an hold the Shift key as soon as you hear the startup chime.
  • Keep the shift key pressed until you see the Apple logo and a progress bar beneath it, then…
  • release the key and wait for the startup process to finish.
  • Launch Prevue, and load a file (I would AVOID using the 600 page file at this point.
  • Other than slowness and degraded video performance, does Preview behave normally?
  • Go to the Apple menu and do a normal restart.
  • Lunch Preview, and check its performance again.

Further information on Safe Mode here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

Barry

Preview not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.