Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using existing SSD as start up drive in a new imac

I am considering purchasing a new iMac to replace my old 2011 MacBook Pro. My MacBook Pro has a 1TB SSD fitted that I want to remove, connect to the new iMac via USB and then set up that SSD as the boot up drive.

My question is, will this then just boot up normally as it did in my old MacBook Pro?.

All my data (mainly Logic Pro X and associated sound libraries and projects) are on the SSD and I don’t really want to migrate the entire SSD to the new 1TB built in fusion drive in the iMac.

my MacBook Pro spec is i7 2.0GHz quad core, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and running High Sierra (won’t upgrade to Mojave as too old)

thanks

Lawrence

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 10:02 AM

No, you need to do an erase and install on the SSD. You can do that when it is connected to the new Mac via Disk Utility. If you attempt to just move it from the old Mac to the new one it will not work as Mac OS is customized for the hardware.

Similar questions

4 replies

Using existing SSD as start up drive in a new imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.