Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transition to a new iMac with a smaller SSD than my previous iMac's large Hard Drive?

Just bought a new iMac with an internal SSD drive. I want to start using the new computer, but the new SSD is much smaller than my old iMac's HDD, so when I tried to set up the new computer and transfer the data from my old iMac, the Migration Utility said it would not fit.

I will buy a large External Thunderbolt drive so I can have all my important data handy, but what should I do in the meantime to get the new iMac up and running, so I can start using it?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 8:51 AM

You're welcome.

Yes, Thunderbolt is a much faster connection for peripheral devices than USB 3. You will notice a difference as you save and retrieve files to and from your drive.

As to the issue with your Music app and authorization... is it possible that some of your music was authorized or purchased with a different Apple ID than the rest? Being a very long time user of these services, I have two Apple IDs that I have to keep track of, so I know the potential is there. I have also successfully transitioned many Macs from the iTunes app to Music without issue. There is no problem with the file system.

Do you run any anti-virus, clean-up, speed-up or VPN spftware on your Mac? These have the potential to interfere with the proper operation of macOS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 8:51 AM in response to Dekatronic

You're welcome.

Yes, Thunderbolt is a much faster connection for peripheral devices than USB 3. You will notice a difference as you save and retrieve files to and from your drive.

As to the issue with your Music app and authorization... is it possible that some of your music was authorized or purchased with a different Apple ID than the rest? Being a very long time user of these services, I have two Apple IDs that I have to keep track of, so I know the potential is there. I have also successfully transitioned many Macs from the iTunes app to Music without issue. There is no problem with the file system.

Do you run any anti-virus, clean-up, speed-up or VPN spftware on your Mac? These have the potential to interfere with the proper operation of macOS.

Sep 25, 2021 10:34 AM in response to Dekatronic

In the meantime you can complete the setup of the new Mac.

Then setup the old Mac to use iCloud Drive to move your Documents and Desktop folders and data into the cloud where you can also access it from the new Mac using the same Apple ID.

You can also use an external drive to transfer some of your data from the old Mac. Obviously you cannot transfer everything so that will have to wait until you have an external drive of sufficient capacity. Flash drives are an option for simple file transfer, but not for long term storage.

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Sep 27, 2021 7:52 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi,

Thanks for your reply... I really don't like iCloud Drive at all... I had problems when I uploaded my entire iTunes library ($$$!) to the cloud a while back, and then suddenly all my files disappeared and Apple said I would need to buy them all again!

I also don't like paying "rent" to have access to my files. The external Thunderbolt drive should solve that problem, but I had a few questions: Is it a "night and day" difference in access speed between Thunderbolt and say, generic USB 3.1 or3.2? I know Thunderbolt is much faster on paper, but will I actually feel this speed difference in casual use if I'm not editing video files?

Also, iTunes is not compatible on the new iMac, and I can't seem to play my music library from a hard drive... The computer keeps telling me the new iMac is not "Authorized" - but I have in fact Authorized it several times! Could this have something to do with the iTunes file system as opposed to the Music file system?

Thanks again.

How do I transition to a new iMac with a smaller SSD than my previous iMac's large Hard Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.